Wednesday, September 27, 2006

All About Yoga!

Recently EuEu has started going to Bikram yoga and she told me that it was an amazing experience. I thought...Doing yoga in a 105F room?? Amazing??? So last night I decided to join EuEu to experience my very 1st Bikram yoga class.

(I practiced yoga when I was in college. At that time I was addicted to it. I went to the studio at least 4 times a week. After each practice I always felt my body stronger and my mind more focused. However, one time I was doing a posture incorrectly and my lower back was injured. Since then, I have switched to swimming, but yoga has remained one of my favorites.)

The class started at 8pm. When we entered the studio, the room was extremely warm, smelly and stuffy (people from previous class just left). But the heat in the room helped loosen up my muscles and joints, and my body felt relaxed. The instructor went over 26 postures in 90 minutes. I started sweating in the first 5 minutes, but there were times when I felt light-headed and had to sit down. My all-time favorite pose is Savasana (the lying down, restorative pose) :P Overall the experience was good, and I felt energetic after the practice.

Already signed up for 1-week unlimited for 1st time students. Will be back for more "yoga-talk" :)

7 comments:

eatgod said...

Savasana is also my favoriate pose. Can you do that for all 90 minutes??:)

riceman said...

i was also going to say that i practice the Savasana posture every night. yoga!

Anonymous said...

you can really loose weight by practicing bikram yoga...sweat so much..

there is this studio in downtown sf with transparent window.. so ppl can see from outside. (廣告).. and guess wut!!... guys inside are wearing only 內褲...><
有點噁心....

other than that.. i love yoga too ^_^ power yoga is wut i'm practicing~~ :P

Leigo said...

Can't imagine the smell.... BTW, I just joined Equinox yesterday. Got more guest passes (one week!) if you guys are interested.

Unknown said...

how is power yoga different from the other styles?

leigo, what kind of workout are you going to do at Equinox? swimming?

Anonymous said...

its Asanga yoga.. similar to bikram i think...except its not hot yoga.. its in a series.. start with sun salutation A,B and with some standing poses.. and there is 2nd series.. and advance series (how did they do that. ..my god) which i'm practing head stand now.. finishing poses should be similar.. shoulder stand.. and the last one is always the same.. corps pose - Shavasana
its fun...

here is a link:
http://ashtangayoga.info/asana-vinyasa/index.html..

theory behind it.. i'm not quit sure.. maybe i should find out.. haha..

but i know all yoga poses (doens't matter which type) are actions in mediating and..ultimate goal is to become that mediate state of mind? thats wut my instructor said..

Unknown said...

sasa - thanx for the link. will check that out. i believe the style that i practiced in college was hatha. i like headstand! so much fun. but back then, i could only do it with the help of the "wall". guess my core strength wasn't strong enough :(